Birth Doula Services $925.00 KYD
The word “doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves” and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Benefits of having a Doula
Research shows that doulas:
- Decrease the need for unnecessary medical interventions
- Increase mother and family birth satisfaction
- Increase infant bonding
- Result in positive breastfeeding outcomes
- Decrease instances of postpartum depression
Birth doulas recognize childbirth as a life experience the mother will remember forever. They understand the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor. They encourage the woman’s partner to participate at his or her own comfort level.
What our service includes:
- An interview free of charge and/or commitment
- Two prenatal visit at your home to discuss birth preferences, and help minimise fears
- Help in developing your birth plan
- Support via email or phone throughout your pregnancy
- On call for you from 38 weeks to 42 weeks
- Continuous labor support once labor begins until after the baby is born
- Will remain with you for up to 2 hours after delivery if added support is needed
- A postpartum visit to discuss the birth, breastfeeding, and adjusting to life with a newborn
You can choose when to contact me during labour for support, i.e. if you want to labour at home but want support I will come to you or I can meet you just when you arrive at hospital.
I am a Certified Birth Doula with DONA International and a Board Certified Lactation Consultant. As a nurse, I have over 15 years experience in Maternity, Labour and Delivery, Neonatal Intensive Care and Paediatrics and have supported numerous families through the birth of their babies.